[K12OSN] Accelerated Reader/Renaissance Place

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Sep 7 02:45:49 UTC 2005

Hello Brad,

I can't comment on Opterons, never having used them (yet!), but I can
comment on its 32-bit brother, the Athlon MP.  Up until very recently, I
was running a single-NIC dual-Athlon 1.47GHz system with 4GB DRAM and
Gigabit Ethernet.  This server supported 25 clients and has run K12LTSP
2.1.2, 3.1.2, and finally 4.2.1 (I find that I really like 4.2.1).
During its two-year existence, it impressed not only the principal and
the students, but also (eventually) the teachers with its speed and
stability; it actually had headroom for maybe 15 more terminals.
Additionally, it was performing file-server duties via Samba for the
Windows clients.  At all times, it ran without even a single hiccup; the
only thing that took it down unexpectedly was an extended power outage.

My experience has taught me that our biggest friends for most tasks are,
in the following order, DRAM, Gig-E, and then CPU oomph.  If you're
doing anything disk-I/O-intensive (e. g. heavy Samba or NFS file
serving), consider RAID.  That said, for what I was doing, plain ol' IDE
sufficed quite nicely, probably due to all that DRAM.

At the time I built it, it cost just under US$2,000 to do so.

--TP