[K12OSN] Using a terminal as a Jetdirect device

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Mon Sep 12 13:50:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 jconlon1 at elp.rr.com wrote:

> I am using FC4.4 with 2.4.26-ltsp-3.
> After some suggested testing it appears that lp_server is not running.
> When I ran ps -elf from a bash prompt on the terminal that has the
> printer lp_server was not in the list.
> I tried getltscfg PRINTER_0_DEVICE and got no response
> I tried getltscfg PRINTER_0_TYPE and got no response.  I also tried this
> with _1_ based on the suggestion that there is or was an identification
> problem.

Maybe the terminal doesn't know its own hostname.  Which means that
getltscfg won't know which section of the lts.conf file to look at. It
will only get the [Default] entries.

If you are using dynamic addresses from a pool of addresses, then the
client won't get a hostname.

if you are doing static entries in dhcpd.conf, then the client should
get a hostname. make sure you have the line 'use-host-decl-names on' in
the dhcpd.conf file.

Also, in the lts.conf file, you can use MAC addresses for the names of
the sections, instead of hostnames.

Take a look at:

   http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LtsConf

for more info.

> How do I determine if lp_server is running or not and if it isn't how do
> I get it started?

on the client, at a bash prompt, type:   ps
see what processes are running. there shouldn't be very many.  See if
lp_server is one of them.

If you still can't get it working after all this, then send me a copy of
your lts.conf file, and your dhcpd.conf file.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org