[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Sep 12 17:29:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 12:23, richard ingalls wrote:
> Yes I LOVE installing via NFS - so fast and easy!
> HOWEVER, I'm at an organization now that is ALL
> Windows ALL the time!  So I have no place to do an NFS
> export unless I build another box just for that
> purpose (which I may do).

If they know what they are doing with windows, they can
drop in SFU (services for unix) on a server and you've
got NFS.  I think the current version is actually pretty
nice.  Of course once you get your first Linux box on
the network you are set (a laptop is a big help here...).

> Since I keep getting errors
> on my CDs (which I'm sure is MY fault, but I burned
> several CDs and don't want to waste any more), I want
> to just use Ubuntu.

There has been a long-standing problem in the way the CD
padding is done on the image that can make the mediacheck
test fail even with a good burn.  If you are actually getting
errors in the install it is probably something physical.  I've
sometimes had problems unless I hold the burn speed down
to 16x or less.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com