[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Sep 13 12:33:20 UTC 2005

I find that most of the time...it's not the CD, but rather the shiny new
CD drive.  Some of my servers are coming with Samsung drives that spin way
too fast for burned CD's.....if I swap it out with a Creative or Sony
drive it works fine.   They often come on "rails" so I put a good drive on
a set of rails and slide it in place of the other only for installs  (even
though I do 99% of my installs now via NFS).

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 at 12:11 AM +0000 wrote:
>>Yes I LOVE installing via NFS - so fast and easy!
>>HOWEVER, I'm at an organization now that is ALL
>>Windows ALL the time!  So I have no place to do an NFS
>>export unless I build another box just for that
>>purpose (which I may do).  Since I keep getting errors
>>on my CDs (which I'm sure is MY fault, but I burned
>>several CDs and don't want to waste any more), I want
>>to just use Ubuntu.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School