[K12OSN] Daktech server and network card issue

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Sep 13 20:07:00 UTC 2005

Here's an update on the Daktech server issue and the network card.  First,
Daktech makes some very nice servers (i have several) and they have a 7
year warranty!  They've been excellent to deal with for tech support and
so forth...not that I've needed any other than swapping a hard drive that
went bad (they overnighted a new one to me).  Now....the latest situation
is that on some of the servers....the mobo manufacturer (which I think is
Intel) is putting two gigabit cards onboard....one is an Intel and one is
a Marvell Yukon.  It's the Marvell which doesn't play nice with Linux.  No
fault of Daktech....it's simply an incompatibility issue....the easy fix?
Put in your own gigabit card and disable the Marvell onboard one in the
BIOS.  When ordering...simply throw on an additional card (Intel or
another well known one) to cover the incompatibility part.

Now....the easy way to deal with this?  Move to a single NIC setup where
either another Linux machine is the DHCP server or your K12LTSP box or
Samba/LDAP box is the DHCP server.  Now all is on one network....no more
subnets and funky wiring stuff.  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School