[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Sep 14 22:19:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 07:31, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Tuesday, September 13, 2005 at 8:40 PM +0000 wrote:
> >right hardware-address entry in the
> >dhcpd.conf file.
>
> I don't follow....all you do is set up a server with NFS sharing a
> directory like "images".  Then I simply use wget to download the ISO's to
> the NFS server. Then you boot from the first CD and type "linux askmethod"
> at the boot prompt.

Or you can boot from the diskboot.img in the /images directory on the
first CD (which you can access through a loopback mount without burning)
by copying it to a flash drive. Just like you used to be able to do with
floppies before the kernel was so big.

Or you can arrange for the vmlinuz and initrd found under
/images/pxeboot to be handed out for network booting to certain
machines (carefully, so you don't give it to your thin clients...).

> You go through a few prompts...select the method (you
> have choices like NFS, hard drive, CD-ROM...etc)  choose NFS....it asks
> for the server name and the directory....example:  10.0.6.101    and
> /images/K12LTSP44/   and that's it.....piece of cake!  No more mounting
> manually or anything like that.

The only difference is that you don't evebn need the 1st CD to boot. The
other ways get you to the same place above.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com