[K12OSN] Swap eth0 and eth1

Duncan Gibb k12osn at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 15:50:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:40, Angus Carr wrote:
AC> gKw-X wrote:

gX> I have an onboard 10/100 and a pci 10/100/1000 nic in this server. I
gX> need the 1000 to be eth0 to talk to the student pcs [..] However, it
gX> seems to insist on making the 100 (onboard nic) eth0 [..]

gX> How can I change this? Or can I tell k12ltsp to use eth1 for the
gX> student pcs instead?

It's easier, IMHO, to switch the network cards than to reconfigure all the
services.

AC> You can go to the /etc/modprobe.conf file and reorganize the module
AC> aliases.

Red Hat-based distros like K12LTSP are not always very receptive to this
approach.  You may have more luck editing

  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1

and inserting/changing the line "HWADDR=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" to match the MAC
addresses of the physical cards.  You can get the MAC addresses from the
first line of each block of output from the "ifconfig" command.

Duncan

--
Duncan Gibb, Technical Architect
http://www.siriusit.co.uk/