[K12OSN] Success! Only, I cant get eth0 do right! (was Old, Creaky Toshiba 2100CDS Laptops As Clients?)

Tom Simpson bullet at sc.rr.com
Mon Sep 19 00:33:18 UTC 2005

Micro Man wrote:

> Are you doing a default install of K12LTSP?  The reason I ask is that
> the default install uses two NICs.  eth0 is set to 192.168.0.254, and
> eth1, which hooks up to the main LAN, uses DHCP.  ISC DHCPD is turned
> on to serve IP addresses to any DHCP-using terminals.
>
> Tell us more about this boot image that you found.  Is it a
> Rom-O-Matic image?

I am doing an default install, and it has had trouble initializing the
card at eth0 durning bootup as well. Should I try and go in manually to
assign the above IP adress to eth0? Because it does not seem to be
taking it during instalation. I suppose I coud reinstall the whole
shootin' match again, but I would think there is a more efficient way to
go about this. Perhaps a reinstall with the second card in place?

I know this is confusing, but I managed to confuse myself rather badly
when working with the two NICs, and then they flip-flopped at one point,
which made things even worse. :-(

As for the image, I stumbled onto the info here:

http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~johnm/weblog/linux/

This guy apparently had a similar problem, and found that one of the
wireless kernals reshuffled PCMCIA initialization to the top of the
list. From what I can tell from the client side, it is indeed kicking
off PCMCIA early during bootup, finding the TI/IBM LAN, identifying it
properly, cranking it up, and then going out and hitting the server for
the OS. Nothing but a chain of green lights from NIC to hub to eth0,
But, it runs into a wall when it hits that "dead" NIC in the server and
the client spits out an error, then I get a kernal panic from that
process trying to terminate. I think it would all work if that NIC at
eth0 was configured properly.

Thanks for everything:
-Tom