[K12OSN] Re: OT - Many displays/remote control

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Sep 19 12:51:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 04:53, Jon Spriggs wrote:
> I'm writing something like that now in PHP (so it's cross-platform
> friendly)... it's in an extremely early edition and I've not even
> published anything yet, but it does ping checks on all the servers in
> a MySQL table using the in-built sockets libraries. It feeds the data
> back into the same database, and there's a web page which displays all
> the results.
>
> I'm planning on creating a "plugins" structure, where you can push
> code to query specific servers to ask for specific results (e.g. File
> & Print server confirms that it has connected to the File & Print
> facility or SSH server allows incomming connections) but that's a way
> off yet, especially as I'm writing my own.
>
> If anyone wants to help with this, then drop me a line :)

I'm using something called 'spong' because it was around back
when I needed it, is written in perl, and has a plugin
structure and is fairly easy to add custom tests.  I'd
probably go with nagios if I were starting today, but
spong is still available and still works fine for simple
tests, a grid display of red/yellow/green status, and
notifications when value thresholds are crossed.
http://spong.sourceforge.net/ There is a demo screen at
http://spong.monsters.org/spong/www-spong  Note the
detail and history if you click the colored dots or
a host name.  It also has a concept of throttling the
number of notifications it sends in a certain amount
of time which turns out to be a good idea.

I also use cacti http://www.cacti.net/ for graphs of
bandwidth, cpu, and memory use.

However, the reason we need so many monitors is for
application-specific monitors for about 100 hosts
that we need to see in real time plus a few for
spong, cacti, and some network monitors.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com