[K12OSN] Spam help...

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Sep 19 12:51:41 UTC 2005

Would someone that is successful using spamassassin to filter most
spam be willing to contact me offlist for some help?

I've tweaked spamassassin, added rulesets (rulesdujour), lowered the
required_hits to 4.0, and I'm still having 2nd grade girls getting
junkmail regarding male pills...

I have angry parents, angry teachers -- and I understand why!  (Yes,
I know spam is a fact of life on the internet, but I'm doing
something wrong I think, because it's really ridiculous the amount
that is getting through)

I'm using:

K12LTSP 4.2.1 as my mail server
Spamassassin 3.0.4 (latest in the updates from k12linux)
sendmail
/etc/procmailrc (yes, I know not the most efficient, but I haven't
had time to get a milter to work)
RulesDuJour -- to get a ton of rules (I added this on Friday, didn't
help much)

I have not set up bayesian stuff -- because I believe that I'd have
to get thousands of spam and ham to make it work -- and I don't have
the resources to do that (resources = time).  Is that my only chance
to filter all the crap that's coming in?  Should I invest in a 3rd
party solution?

Thanks for any insight,
-Shawn