[K12OSN] Power outage - ldap stopped working

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 14:31:26 UTC 2005

Tom Allen wrote:
> Help!!
>
> We had a power outage and the server went down.  Now ldap won't start
> back up.  I am running FC3 (from the k12ltsp4.2.1 disks).  I had the
> system check the disks at startup, and it found and corrected some
> problems.  But ldap still won't go.  Slapcat replies with "Slap_startup
> failed".
>
> Is there a utility for checking/repairing/restoring the ldap database?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Tom

If you have your backend set as dbm your OK if it's ldbm you might have an issue and this is what
the smbldap-installer sets up.

When was the last time you ran a slapcat -l filename ?

We had a issue like this the other day where the ldap backend was corrupted. What I did was to stop
LDAP, move the files out of /var/lib/ldap (I think that was the location it's set in slapd.conf

Once the files were moved out I did a slapadd -l filename this recovered the backup. I then had to
chown -R ldap:ldap /var/lib/ldap

Then service ldap start was OK.

I have a cron job that does a slapcat -l `date +%d%m%y`.ldif once a week to cover in case of things
like this

Brian