[K12OSN] Releasing Fl_TeacherTool 0.1

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:28:44 UTC 2005

On 9/19/05, Trond Mæhlum <trond at mahlum.biz> wrote:
> On fre, 2005-09-16 at 16:47 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> > On 9/15/05, David Trask <dtrask at vcsvikings.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Now for a challenge....I run two K12LTSP servers in dhcp failover/load
> > > balancing mode...with a third Samba/LDAP machine for authentication and
> > > home dirs.  Works fantastic except for the fact that now I have to use
> > > TeacherTool in two places....any ideas on how we might be able to set it
> > > up so that one TeacherTool can monitor both servers?  Even possible?
>
> I am also very interested in this, as I have five servers I would like
> to list its users.

I am going to work on this feature. Hopefully, this will be a feature
of the next release. I just need to figure out a way to netstat the
other server and also be able to launch apps from the other server. If
anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. You can also grep the
lines from my source code that have the word "system" to gain some
insight.

> Another thing. I run a system for 2500 users and I am "root". The
> teachers are not root. Is it possible to make a "TeacherTool-junior"
> edition? I would like this app to be able to list users, send messages,
> run vncreflector for the schools students.

Well the real useful stuff needs to be run as root. You CAN list users
and view processes but that's about it. For messages you need to be
able to run the fl_TTmessage as the user (so you need root
priviliges). The only thing which I can think of (not sure if it will
work) is to add a teacher group and then put them in the sudoers list
and add Fl_TeacherTool to the approved apps. I haven't tried this. I
don't even know how to do it without googling but I know of the
sudoers concept.

If someone if with experience setting up a sudeors list and associated
apps could reply that would be great.

--
Robert Arkiletian