[K12OSN] Slightly OT- installing Yellow Dog

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Sep 20 22:16:32 UTC 2005

You're better off with YDL 2.3 or maybe 3.0.  4.0 no longer officially
supports anything that doesn't have the NewWorld booting architecture.
Beige anythings, including G3's, are OldWorld.  It's my understanding
that some PowerBook G3's are OldWorld boxes.

I've done YDL 2.3 on a Power Mac 9600 with good results.  All you need
is the basic command-line stuff and X11; you don't need GNOME, KDE, or
any of the rest.  This is the same strategy I used to use with Sun
UltraSPARCs (RHL 6.2 and SuSE 7.3) before I learned how to netboot them.

--TP