[K12OSN] Mac won't netboot any more

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 21 13:10:52 UTC 2005

> So, what does that mean?  What are the commands to
> permanently set the firmware to
> netboot?  As important, what are the commands to change it
> back to booting from the
> local drive, for future reference?

My guess is that for some reason it is having trouble figuring out that
it needs the yaboot file and putting the ,yaboot after the IP tells it
what it needs.  For fun try the same command but leave the ,yaboot off
of the end and see what happens.  If this fails without the ,yaboot then
either your lts.conf changed somehow with either a yum update or
something or another dhcp server is taking the requests and doesn't have
the right information to hand out.  I would search for another dhcp
process as the culprit.

To permanently add this to firmware follow the instructions below. Place
the ,yaboot after the IP in the first step if you do determine that is
needed.  To set back simply boot off of a CD and select a new startup
disk.  There are firmware commands as well but I can't remember them.

Boot with apple+option+o+f again
Type the follwing at the command line:

setenv boot-device enet:192.168.0.254

Hit enter.

setenv auto-boot? true

Hit enter.

reset-all

Hit enter.

The machine should reboot and now automatically boot to ltsp every time
it is powered up.

Tip:  If for some reason your machine will not boot after entering boot
enet:192.168.0.254 with some error that
it cannot find a boot loader or whatever, try this:

boot enet:192.168.0.254,yaboot

9/20/2005