[K12OSN] My vision needs feedback.

Andrew Fisk andy at spitcomp.com
Fri Sep 23 10:05:31 UTC 2005

Take a look at what Quaker Valley did, they used a full blown Laptop
and provided internet access to each students home -- it was an
amazing project.

http://www.qvsd.org/2550115914103416/site/default.asp

I will copy your message to the guy that put it all together, I know
he is real busy, but he might be able to help you out some.

I know a couple of practical issues that they ran into included break
fix maintenance on the laptops, the kids are MUCH harder on equipment
than adults are, and unfortunately 9th grade boys often don't think 4
hours ahead let alone 4 years!  While this project was running I was
managing a corporate IT dept with about 3 times the number of users,
and  had about 1/10th the number of problems.

The other big issue was internet access -- between the parents who
seem to believe that google is a tool of satan, and those that wanted
"freedom" for their kids to explore whatever the school
administration was in a no win situation.

How are you thinking about connecting the students back to the school?

Thanks

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services LLC
441 Beaver Street