[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Sep 28 19:05:58 UTC 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 2:56 PM, R. Scott Belford wrote:

>> I would check that the /etc/hosts file is populated with info for
>> all  your clients.  A hang that long sounds like a DNS issue to me.
>>

> Thanks, Shawn.  The issue is isolated to Open Office.  All other
> apps open as rapidly as expected.

I vaguely remember a problem with openoffice that I had a few years
back (it was of course 1.x) that it took a month of Sundays (well,
maybe 8 minutes) to load OO.  All other apps worked fine too -- but
OO took forever to load.  I'm pretty sure it was DNS related, but I
don't promise.

Check those cpu/memory things.  Also check to see if the hard drive
is thrashing while it's loading.  I know that OO2.x on 4.4.1 loads
lightning fast on mulitple clients in my test lab, so hopefully it's
just a misconfiguration somewhere.

-Shawn