[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Sep 28 21:21:11 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 13:56, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>

>>It takes 8 minutes, total, for a class of 30 to launch Open Office.  So,
>>class goes like this, 'Welcome class, please lauch OO, and let's then
>>take a 10 minute break.'
>

> Does it help if one client or the console has loaded it before the
> others start?

It does not.  I tried that in hopes that successive loads would be
faster once the app was in memory.

We have witnessed that the slow loads exist after the first, second,
third, etc. launches.

With respect to a few of the questions I missed:

1. The platform in both labs is dual opteron, 4gb ram, 15K scsi software
raid1.
2. The problem does not exist with 4.2.1 and OO version 1.X
3. Have not run top and have not made sure that things are prelinked

It does seem that each client is having to open its own instance of OO,
and the reads, writes, and caching takes about 8 minutes

--scott