[K12OSN] lp_server not running

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Sep 29 14:49:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 jconlon1 at elp.rr.com wrote:

> I didn't realize I had created a second section for that terminal.  I
> fixed that now there is only one section.
>
> That Mac address is the address for the terminal I am using.
>
> I am running FC 4.4.0.  Perhaps it has the same problem as FC 4.4.1

You are talking about Fedora versions.  I'm talking about LTSP.

> After combining the two sections I shut the terminal down and restarted
> it from power off.  I typed ps -elf and now lp_server is in the
> terminal's list.  I typed in lp_server and got the following error message:
> tcp_open: Bind to '0.0.0.0 port 9100 failed - address already in use.

Why are you typing 'lp_server' ?  You don't need to run it, it's already
running.

Now, you need to test it from the server.  Try telnetting to that client
at port 9100.  Like this:

     telnet ws001 9100

(substitute the workstation name or IP address)

You should get a connected message.  Then, whatever you type should
appear on the printer.  Hit Ctrl-J to advance a line, and Ctrl-L to
eject the page.

If that works, then you just need to setup your print spooler on your
server.  Tell CUPS that it's a jetdirect interface and you should be all
set.

Jim.