[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:53:00 UTC 2005

On 9/29/05, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 September 2005 10:36 am, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> >
> > It is usual to consider a thread dead if no one has replied after a
> > week. 24 hours is not a dead thread. Can you answer items from
> > previous emails and some things I just throught of?
>
> Thanks for the insight, Stephen.  My apologies for the pre-mature death
> declaration.  I think that I have taken care of other background questions.
> The important fact is that both labs have run great with prior 4.x releases.
> A volunteer at one school has installed 4.2.1 a few times now just to be
> certain that the issue followed the 4.4.1 release.
>
> Our vision is to enable schools to utilize free software in a thin-client
> environment and to do it in a self-sustaining, student-involving manner.
> When the end user witnesses a degradation in performance from an upgrade,
> they blame the upgrade and lose confidence in the product.  Fortunately, I am
> not the end user.
>

> > 1) Have you run prelink?
>
> I will have this done.  However, if it was never needed with 4.2.1, why do we
> need to ask a teacher to do this?

You shouldnt have to. However there are cases where it might have run
(system shutdown or errors).

> > 2) Have you looked in dmesg for error messages about network problems?
>
> Doubtful that any network issues exist given the prior performance of the
> hardware.

There are kernel and library changes between the two. I have had
problems with a broadcom working in FedCore 3 and not in FedCore 4
because of this.

> > 3) What is the network backbone of your system? [Switch, hub, gigabit,
> > 10mbit, etc?] OOfice is a large app with a lot of window touching...
> > network mismatches between the server or clients and switch can show
> > up on this and not other apps.
>
> Gig uplink to a gig switch.  I don't see this as an issue.

Never underestimate the stupidity of drivers or switches. I have had
to toggle as many gigE to gigE ports on switches as I have had with
100mbit. Some of them were problems with the network drivers.. some
with bios problems with machines, and some with changes in the switch.
The box would show crap problems and it was because it had
re-negotiated to 100mbit  half (this is with copper.. fibre is a
different matter).

Heck I had one problem that turned out to be a bad cable. Worked great
with an older version of Fed and then an upgrade started giving me
crap. We put the cable through a tester and found it had a miniscule
break half-way through. Why it worked before so great.. no idea.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator