[K12OSN] Linux Client Authentication with Samba PDC?

Onatawahtaw onatawahtaw at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 3 22:05:19 UTC 2006

Greetings,

We currently have a number of Windows (98 and XP) that
log into a Linux Server using Samba as a PDC. This
server also contains the students' home directories.

I have recently made another partition on some of the
windows clients and have installed Ubuntu. I can log
into the Ubuntu machines locally, but have no idea how
to authenticate with the server instead. Once logged
in I want to be able to provide access to the same
home directories. I do not want to use the thin client
method because right now our server is only 400MHz
(yeah I know).

>From doing some research I understand that I probably
have to use LDAP for authentication, but don't have a
clue where to start. Does it work with along with
Samba or separately from Samba? How does one go about
setting it up? Or if there is a better way, please
advise.

Thanks for your help, :)

-Kevin