[K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] how to backup /home ?

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Wed Apr 5 19:00:05 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:24, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
>

>>I want to set up a PC for disk to disk back up using BackupPC. I am
>>quite familiar with Fedora (K12LTSP) now but I have heard
>>recommendations for using SME server for a job like this. Are there any
>>good reasons to use SME server as opposed to K12LTSP for a job like this?
>>
>>Are there any points to look out for we setting up something  like this?
>>

>The config files on SME server are all built by perl scripts
>using templates and a database managed through a web server.
>That's great if you want to do exactly what someone else already
>built templates to do, but not so good if you are adding something
>new.  I'd recommend either starting from the Centos-based version
>of k12ltsp which will be very familiar but has a longer expected
>life, or ubuntu which has the advantage of an available
>pre-configured packaged (but it's not that hard to do yourself).
>
>The main thing to plan for is that it is very slow to copy a
>backuppc archive once it has some history.  It is best to
>put it on it's own drive and make sure it will be as large as
>you'll need for a while.

Do you mean that if I install ubuntu it already has backuppc installed?

Our needs are not large we have 1 K12ltsp/file  server with less than 40
active users plus 3 teacher laptops, 1 admin computer.

Because backups are generally done at night and after the initial
complete backup the incremental backups shouldn't be to big I was
thinking of using IDE hard drives (200GB) on an old PII 350. To use RAID
1 would I need to get a RAID card or something? Would it be necessary? I
also have heaps of 6 GB HDs (removed from PXE booting clients) that I
don't know what to do with. Are they any use for anything?