[K12OSN] Setting up email accounts

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Apr 6 01:10:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 19:55, Sudev Barar wrote:

> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
> > as the comments suggest, then 'service sendmail restart'.
>
> This is dangerous as it opens your box for relaying mail and spammers
> can use this. I would suggest either adding a line like below to allow
> limited opening of sendmail:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.0, Name=MTA')dnl

This line tells sendmail what address to listen on, not what
it can relay.  If you want it to accept outside email you
will have to listen on a public address or port-foward from
your public address.

The default configuration for sendmail keeps it from
relaying anything except from the addresses listed
in /etc/mail/access, which is just the local host.  If
you want it to relay outbound messages from other
machines on the local net you have to add the LAN address
range (but thin clients really their email program on the
server and appear local).

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com