[K12OSN] LTSP 4.2 "Ubuntu LTSP"

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Fri Apr 7 02:54:20 UTC 2006

Brad,

Yes, these are in production environments and they work very well. Let
me clarify, the Ubuntu 5.10 LTSP server is in production. However, I
have been able to get LTSP 4.2 up and running 100% on both 5.10 and
6.06. Ubuntu does authenticate against LDAP and Active Directory
(basically LDAP). However, it's pretty painful to get it to do so at
this point and time. That's the plus side of K12LTSP, 90% of
authenticating against Active Directory (for example) is authconfig. In
Ubuntu, there is no authconfig utility and you are forced to dive
into .conf files and configure pam modules. That is something that I am
currently working on and would like to see in a future release. However,
I am currently in the process of writing a tutorial on how to set up
LTSP 4.2 onto Ubuntu which with minor to no changing the tutorial can
easily be followed to install LTSP 4.2 onto relatively any distro (FC5,
CentOS, SuSE, Red Hat, etc..) giving you your own LTSP server on your
distro of choice. I'll keep you and anyone else posted if interested.

-Paul