[K12OSN] Crashing Firefox on terminal in new un-messed with install

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 22:57:29 UTC 2006

I wish it wasn't Friday afternoon...  I'll miss all of you guys for the
weekend!

I've redone the install on my home test server of the new FC5 with Eric's
new ltsp packages to confirm my troubles.  What happens on a client is that
when even called by root, Firefox on certain pages (many) will crash with
the following message in a console:

[root at christiansens ~]# /opt/firefox/firefox
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 42238 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

On the server, the same webpage loads.  This page is nothing compliated on
many of the crashing pages and this one is served off of my webserver.  The
example crashing page is a large image.  Other pages that crash die so fast
I don't even know what is on them...

I should have checked on the server to see how how the crashing webpages
behaved days ago... This is my third install and I figured I was messing
things up with plugins as all of the libraries may have been mixed up
between 32 and 64 bit versions- but I guess this isn't the case.  Firefox
dies even without any plugins installed.  No Acroread, java or flash...no
audio, xine libs, mplayer plugins... nothing extra.

Any ideas appreciated!!  Fire away  :-)

Thanks,  Jim