[K12OSN] Crashing Firefox on terminal in new un-messed with install

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Apr 9 01:18:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> On 4/7/06, Jim Christiansen <christiansen_j at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I wish it wasn't Friday afternoon...  I'll miss all of you guys for the
>> weekend!
>>
>> I've redone the install on my home test server of the new FC5 with Eric's
>> new ltsp packages to confirm my troubles.  What happens on a client is that
>> when even called by root, Firefox on certain pages (many) will crash with
>> the following message in a console:
>>

> This probably has nothing to do with your problem but I just thought
> I'd put this out there.
> Are you running Firefox 1.5 ?
> Cause I think it has this "feature" that consumes much more ram ( on
> the terminal server ) to accelerate the back and forward navigation.
> That's why I'm sticking with 1.0.7. Although after reading this thread
> I'm wondering if it also consumes more ram on the X server (the
> client)?

The new Firefox feature that increases the amount of ram used is
disabled in the version of Firefox 1.5.x that will ship with
K12LTSP.

To double-check (or to set it if you are using a non-K12LTSP
firefox 1.5), startup firefox, in the URL bar type "about:config",
in the Filter bar type "browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers".
The value of this parameter should be 0. If it is -1, you can set
it to 0 to turn it off.

-Eric