[K12OSN] User access to local usb on FC5 + K12LTSP4.2 = imaginary files

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 18:49:45 UTC 2006

Now that the firefox troubles have been fixed up I'm back to working on my
local usb issues.

I've worked through
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LTSP-42-LocalDev#Troubleshooting
and everything appears to check out.  Group/users, display names, daemons
running ...

The trouble is that only one user can really access and read/write any usb
stick.  Other non-root users have a usb device appear on the Desktop at
plugin, but the actual contents of the stick do not show up.  What appears
is some imaginary list of files that users attempt to write to the stick.
If the stick is inserted into a standalone box as any other user you see
what is actually there on it.  Yank it back out and stick it back in a
client and the imaginary list of files dragged into it shows up again.
Also, for the one non-root user that it works for, the space on the stick is
represented properly-  for others, the space remaining seems to be the
remaining space on my /home partition.

Does anyone else have the same thing happening?

Jim