[K12OSN] Kubuntu LTSP 4.2 XDMCP Problems

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Apr 12 13:08:21 UTC 2006

Well I have installed Kubuntu Breezy 5.10 fresh onto my home server.  I have
followed Paul's tuturial for Ubuntu but am stuck.  When I run ltspcfg and show
the status of all services everything comes up installed/enable/running = yes
except for xdmcp.  Xdmcp is installed = yes, enabled = no, running = yes.  I
cannot figure out what to do to get it enabled.

I looked at /etc/kde3/kdm/xdmrc and I see that Enable=true is the default for
xdmcp.  Also I see that /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess is the default access file.  I
checked that file and ltspcfg added the needed "*" at the bottom to allow all
hosts to connect.

What am I missing?

The result is that my test terminal (a Term150) boots everything normal, then
gets to starting X, after showing stuff on the screen for XF86Config it
flashes to a grey screen with the X in the middle, then back to black after a
few seconds, then back to grey after a while for a few seconds and black,etc.
 It is like it keeps trying to fire X indefinitely.  I hope the problem is
incorrect configuration for xdmcp.

Help!