[K12OSN] IP based PA system?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Apr 12 14:52:31 UTC 2006

 Does anyone even have a simple command that would play a sound to other
> clients?  How about something along the lines of how ltsp sends
> sound events to clients?  I know from some messing around with the
> macs that you can set a client to listen for certain events on port
> x, and then set the server to broadcast certain sound events out to
> port x.  Could this be a start?

To expand on the above could a person use something like ESD and the concepts
behind /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound? Could I use a linux box to capture sound
from local sound files and a local microphone and broadcast sound in a fashion
that the above script uses?  Then and some sort of service to teacher machines
(in this case OSX) to listen with esd similar to the following:
/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001 -public &

This sound far fetched, let me know if I am way off base.  I wouldn't even be
opposed to sticking a linux box in each classroom if I had to.  Maybe ltsp
could be used in its entirity to do this......