[K12OSN] Dell Client boot trouble - NEWBIE

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Apr 13 12:01:46 UTC 2006

Kevin,

If your home directories are on your LTSP server, there is NOTHING that
you need to do, to configure that.  That's the default case.

Also, the thin clients don't mount the /home directory.

When you log into a thin client, you are actually logging into the server.

Your session is running ON the server, NOT on the thin client.  The
client is merely providing your connection to the server.  It's an
extension of the server.  Giving you a keyboard, mouse and display that
are interacting with the server.  Dunno how many other ways I can say that.

So, when you log into the server, via a thin client, your home directory
is right where it needs to be.

As for the problems you were having with booting the thin client, that's
a whole different issue, having nothing to do with adding or removing
/home from /etc/exports.

For us to help figure out why the client was stopping, we'd need more
information, like details about the error you were getting.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org