[K12OSN] DELL Client boot trouble - Newbie

Kevin Haugh kevin_haugh at redlands.k12.ca.us
Thu Apr 13 15:05:01 UTC 2006

For the record I get the exact same message when I attempt to netboot
an iMac... just exchange "ppc" for "i386".  Trouble seems to be with
the server, but where?  Here's the error message again...

Mounting root filestystem: /opt/ltsp/i386 from: 192.168.0.254
mount: RPC: unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
mount: nfsmount failed: Bad file descriptor
NFS: mount program didn't pass remote address!
mount: Mounting 192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/i386 on /mnt failed: invalid
argument

ERROR! Faild to mount the root directory via NFS!
Possible reasons include:
1) NFS services may not be running on the server
2) Workstation IP does not map to a hostname, either in /etc/hosts, or
in DNS
3) Wrong address for NFS server in DHCP config file
4) Wrong pathname for root directory in the DHCP config file

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Thanks!

-Kevin
Kevin Haugh, Teacher/Asst. Football Coach
Redlands High School
kevin_haugh at redlands.k12.ca.us
http://uti-haugh.rhs.redlands.k12.ca.us