[K12OSN] squidGuard and FC5

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Apr 22 06:05:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us wrote:

> I can't seem to find squidGuard.  I am trying to upgrade our squid gateway
> from FC3 to FC5.  I built the system using the FC5 CD's.  Should I try
> rebuilding using the K12LTSP cd's?  Also, I have some vague memory of Eric
> having applied a patch to force google safe image searches.  Where can if
> find this?

If you were starting from scratch, I'd recommend using the K12LTSP cds.
But since it sounds like you already upgraded your server, it would be
less painful to do it the hard way (which is not that hard if you just
want the squidGuard package).

[ Note that this is untested. If any part of the following fails, ask for
   help... ]

1) Install the k12ltsp-release package. Currently, you can do that with
    this command:

 	rpm -ihv k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us:/pub/K12LTSP/testing/5.0.0-32bit/i386/Fedora/RPMS/k12ltsp-release-5.0.0-0d.noarch.rpm

2) Load the K12LTSP keys:

 	rpm --import  /usr/share/doc/k12ltsp/*KEY*

3) Install the K12LTSP squidGuard package:

 	yum install squidGuard

4) Setup the services as you've used in the past, such as:

 	/sbin/chkconfig squid off
 	/sbin/server    squid stop
 	/sbin/chkconfig squidGuard on
 	/sbin/service   squidGuard start
 	/sbin/chkconfig transparent-proxying on
 	/sbin/service   transparent-proxying start

5) if the squidGuard service refuses to start, try running this command
    and then reboot:

 	setsebool -P squid_disable_trans=1

-Eric