[K12OSN] Community + eWaste = HOPE

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Apr 25 19:09:07 UTC 2006

Aloha Folks

Most of you know, and for those of you who don't, we(HOSEF) do our best
to harness the power of the community to turn ewaste into hope.  HOPE to
me has become Helping Other People Excel, and by golly it just keeps
getting better.  I cannot change the world with sweat and code as Jim,
Eric, and the rest of the Beloved Developers do.  My back, my truck, and
my own sweat can, however.

I've uploaded a few pretty decent videos showing what we do, why, and
how.  Take a gander if you will.

This one is from a television program hosted by the University of
Hawaii's CIO, David Lassner.  We set up a thin client email garden for
telecom executives attending a rather major conference in Hawaii.  Two
years in a row - ubiquitous.  David talked about us:

High Tech Hawaii TV

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2217971194216295291

With computers we do not donate to schools and non-profits as part of
our Gnu Linux Edutainment Learning Centers, we channel them through
Computer Guts.  5 levels.  In the process kids dis-assemble and
re-assemble a computer twice, learn the components, install software,
and type and essay.  Upon Graduation, they take it home forever:

Computer Guts

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2921718538782783994

A camera crew from our public access channel come to where I work once a
week.  When they have time they give a yutz like me time on the TV.
Unrehearsed, unscripted, and no takes.  I am always willing.

Capitol Commentary

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5645516194085922921

--scott

--