[K12OSN] LCD 17 vs. 15?

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Apr 26 13:41:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 19:36 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Message: 16
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:07:04 -0700
> From: "Robert Arkiletian" <robark at gmail.com>

> On 4/25/06, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com> wrote:
> > any thoughts? We need to buy a couple of dozen. I know what I'd get
> for
> > home use but wondering what others experiences are for school use.
> We
> > have 15" (1024 x 768) in our lab which seem to work fine and many of
> our
> > old CRTs are 800 x 600. For k-5, would 1280 X 1024 help or just be a
> > superfluous expense?
>
> native res on 17" is 1280x1024 so you will have a little more X
> traffic on eth0 plus if you want 24bit color you need to make sure
> your video cards have enough ram (4MB min). But 17" LCDs are so cheap
> now it's almost not worth buying a 15".
> --

Is the traffic directly related to the pixel density? ie 1280 x 1024 has
about 50% more pixels. Does this mean the X stream will be 50% larger?
This will be a consideration if I put 30-40 clients on the same network.

I can turn the color down to 16 bit if that helps.

Also, any idea how much more server resources it would take?

regards,
William