[K12OSN] Censornet help

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Wed Apr 26 15:13:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday April 26 2006 10:56 am, Brian Chivers wrote:
> Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> > On Wednesday April 26 2006 9:34 am, Edward Holcroft wrote:
> >> Dimitri
> >>
> >> I am using the latest Censornet in the way you describe in diagram one.

> >> This is good.

> >> This is a feature, not a problem and is exactly what is supposed to
> >> happen with Censornet. It sounds like you have everything working
> >> just right.

> >> If, for example, you don't have the correct proxy settings (or if a
> >> user deliberately tries to bypass the proxy) you encounter this
> >> message - once again exactly what should happen.

> >> It sounds like you want the Windows user to automagically be logged
> >> in as the Internet user, but that's not the way Censornet works. You
> >> have to log in to the web independently, even if you have already
> >> logged into Windows and authenticated against your domain (is sounds
> >> like you're running windows on the desktop here right?). This is how
> >> Censornet logs access. In other words Censornet is not a transparent
> >> proxy that makes use of the user authentication login details - it a
> >> separate and self-contained logging and authentication system.  The
> >> fact that it imports the user accounts from your AD is merely a
> >> convenience so that you don't have to recreate them all manually. It
> >> also means that one user can login to the Windows PC and another can
> >> log into the Internet on the same PC oat one time - it is is the
> >> username that logs onto the Internet that will be tracked and logged
> >> in the Censornet Webalizer, not the Windows AD authenticated user.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps
> >> ed
> >
> > Understood on the authentication mechanism.  Now, this is the curious
> > part - if, after entering my uname and pw (once, or a few times, doesn't
> > matter), then cancelling the login, I get the Censornet "Authentication
> > Failed" error message.  SO, I am communicating with Censornet, but not
> > being authenticated.
> >
> > As you know, Censornet isn't difficult to configure, nor are there a lot
> > of configuration settings to make.  But, just for fun, I reinstalled
> > Censornet, to make sure I didn't futz anything up the first go-round.  No
> > luck, same issues.
> >
> > And, our AD server is also our system's time server.  I mad sure that I
> > configured Censornet to use it to sync the time.  Both are at the same
> > time. I think, though, that that's important mainly for user and
> > workstation discovery.
> >
> > Dimitri
>
> You can test the authentication via the CLI, not sure how but do a search
> for "PAM" on the censornet forums and you should find something.
>
> Brian

You're right.  It's "/usr/local/squid/libexec/pam_auth -1".  When I enter my
uname and pw, I get an "ERR" return instead of OK.  The FAQ mentions says
this about it:

"If you get an OK response, then all is well. If you get an ERR response, then
there is something wrong, but its got nothing to do with the clock (and
probably nothing to do with the CN either)."

Hmmm.  What, then?

Dimitri

believed to be clean.