[K12OSN] Censornet help

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 16:18:56 UTC 2006

--- Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos at firstbhph.com> wrote:

> Understood on the authentication mechanism.  Now,
> this is the curious part -
> if, after entering my uname and pw (once, or a few
> times, doesn't matter),
> then cancelling the login, I get the Censornet
> "Authentication Failed" error
> message.  SO, I am communicating with Censornet, but
> not being authenticated.
>
> As you know, Censornet isn't difficult to configure,
> nor are there a lot of
> configuration settings to make.  But, just for fun,
> I reinstalled Censornet,
> to make sure I didn't futz anything up the first
> go-round.  No luck, same
> issues.
>
> And, our AD server is also our system's time server.
>  I mad sure that I
> configured Censornet to use it to sync the time.
> Both are at the same time.
> I think, though, that that's important mainly for
> user and workstation
> discovery.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

I might be misinterpreting what you wrote, but it
sounds as if when the web browser prompts you to enter
your Censornet username & password, you enter those,
but then cancel that login rather than clicking
"okay".  Is this correct?

By design, Censornet blocks web access when a web
browser either logs in with an incorrect
username/password combination, or refuses to log in
(such as by cancelling the log in process).

To my knowledge, it isn't able to automatically
authenticate against Windows users against an AD
server; though, as others have mentioned, it can
initially populate its user/password database from AD.

That you're getting a login request signifies that you
are communicating with the Censornet box.

David Whitmer
Media and Technology Director
Calvary Schools of Holland