[K12OSN] Nautilus Crashing

Barry R Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Tue Apr 4 00:36:52 UTC 2006

Hi Fabio,

With Nautilus crashing it could be a miriad of things.
Here's something that happened on one of our servers many moons ago,
after many hours of trying to resolve pretty much the same thing. I
thought it was memory related as this was a new server i had pieced
together. I tried different memory combinations, and did end up with
different "crashing" characteristics with each redo of memory sticks.
After lots of trial and error i done a bios hard setting for the cpu
speed and bumped up the cpu bus adjustment speed one notch then two
notches higher. After doing this the server has never crashed period. It
was usually Nautilus that crashed only and a couple of times Abiword
would crash. This has been about 3 years ago, and after making the
bios/cpu adjustment this server has never coughed once.
Your scenario pretty much fits the same as this server. It seemed to
always be directories with lots of subfolders and or files that would
crash Nautilus the easiest.I'm guessing it was "working" the HD/CPU the
hardest.Only difference is this was Fedora were you are using CentOS.
You could try the same on your server box. Just enter the bios and step
up the cpu setting one setting,and see if you have any different crash
characteristics. the worst that can happen is the server will not boot
up. If that happens just reset the bios on the mobo via the bios reset
pins and try another setting. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Take care,
Barry Cisna