[K12OSN] Workstation setup troubles

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Tue Apr 4 17:55:23 UTC 2006

Kari

>From my personal experience with both Ubuntu and Edubuntu, setting up LTSP
from scratch on Ubuntu is the better way to go then running Edubuntu right
now. LTSP just isn't working properly on Edubuntu. Seems to be very slow.
It's not just my experience either. However, I take it that that won't be an
option right now due to lack of some experience. That's ok. Although I
personally prefer Ubuntu with LTSP installed over K12LTSP (I'm a Debian guy,
give me a break :P) I believe K12LTSP is the place you want to start.
K12LTSP is *VERY* easy to set up, even for a Linux novice or newbie and it's
easy to use interface won't let you down. Besides, the community for K12LTSP
is much broader than any other LTSP community to date.

I do agree with Barry, learning Samba and LDAP is a trial and error process.
It will also require you to do a lot of Googling. The majority of what I
have learned about Linux, K12LTSP, LTSP, Open Source (or OpenSource to some
;)), etc. was from trial and error and a lot of time researching on the web.
I'm sure I am not alone in that experience.

Scribus is, in my humble opinion, one of the better MS Publisher equivalents
you are going to find. After sitting down and playin garound with it for
awhile myself and a couple of others were able to make nice looking
publications. Like anything, once you get the hang of it....

Now, as far as Gcompris on Ubuntu, I can sympathize. I am having the exact
same issue on my Ubuntu boxes. Periodically Gcompris will just quit without
warning. This has happened on several different boxes and even different
machines. I haven't really looked into yet as Gcompris isn't highly used
yet.

Finally, many of us don't just work with K12LTSP so you might find a lot of
help here. Always feel free to ask any questions you may have. The only dumb
question you can have, is the one you didn't ask. ;)

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy
Information Technology Director