[K12OSN] Password Policy

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Apr 4 19:25:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 14:00 -0500, Brad Johnson wrote:
> I did try that but it didn't seem to work....however I didn't reboot
> and I'm a little afraid to reboot.

You shouldn't need to reboot.  When you say it doesn't work, do you mean
it doesn't allow you to set a weak password?  It doesn't allow you to
login?  It doesn't allow you to set any new password?

>   Here's another interesting
> item....if I change the password succesfully, it doesn't actually
> seem to update in the ldap directory on the OS X server.

this sounds as though you have something screwy at a deeper level as
well.  Did you use the authconfig program to setup your connection to
the OSX ldap server or soemthing different?  Is pam_ldap one of the
modules being stacked in /etc/pam.d/system-auth?  It sounds as though
the update is updating /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on the K12ltsp server
instead of in the OSX server.  So the K12 server is reading
from /etc/passwd ad from the ldap server but it is writing only
to /etc/passwd.

When you use the passwd command does it prompt you with:
Enter login(LDAP) password:

or does it just print
New UNIX password:

-Toshio