[K12OSN] Setting up email accounts

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Apr 5 23:00:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:15, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> How can I set up email so I can send email to the student accounts on
> K12LTSP.

Within the server it should just work when you've added the
accounts.  The fedora sendmail setup is intentionally broken
so it only accepts mail locally. To fix it, edit
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
as the comments suggest, then 'service sendmail restart'.
If anything is missing, you might need to
'yum install sendmail-cf' to get all the parts.

> I would also like to use these email accounts for external access. What
> port forwarding settings do I need?
> I have been able to send an email from my local account to an external
> account. How do I set it up so an external account can email my local
> account?

You need the change above, a DNS entry with an MX record pointing
to your public interface, and if the email domain name doesn't
match the machine name, add the name(s) to accept to
/etc/mail/local-host-names and restart sendmail.  If you don't
have an interface with a public address, you'll have to set
up port-forwarding so port 25 reaches the server.

You'll also probably want some spam filtering.  I like
MimeDefang (http://www.mimedefang.org) but there might
be something easier to install.

--
  Les Mikesell