[K12OSN] Setting up email accounts

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 00:55:06 UTC 2006

On 06/04/06, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:15, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> > How can I set up email so I can send email to the student accounts on
> > K12LTSP.
>
> Within the server it should just work when you've added the
> accounts.  The fedora sendmail setup is intentionally broken
> so it only accepts mail locally. To fix it, edit
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
> as the comments suggest, then 'service sendmail restart'.

This is dangerous as it opens your box for relaying mail and spammers
can use this. I would suggest either adding a line like below to allow
limited opening of sendmail:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.0, Name=MTA')dnl

OR why not try kolab? I have found it very easy to set up and
administer one step solution for mail, spamd and anti-virus. It just
takes all the normal packages togther and delivers a admin interface
very much like what webmin does for many services.

[snipped rest]

HTH
--
Sudev Barar