[K12OSN] Student Log-Ins Trashed

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Apr 6 19:37:51 UTC 2006

Mark Goodridge wrote:
> Good Morning List,
> I'm conducting an iron test of a small K12LTSP lab. I've turned a group
> of 4th graders lose on it practically unsupervised and told them to go
> for it, try anything they like. I figure if the technology can stand up
> to that abuse, it can survive anything.
>
> So far I have been very impressed. After I taught one of the kids to
> turn the server back on after power failures my tech support calls
> dropped to zero.
>
> I've had a small handful of kids apparently screw up their profiles so
> badly that either they can't log in or when they do, their desktop is
> unusable. What I have done so far is to log in as root, save their
> files, delete the user, and then recreate the exact same user. This is
> working. Every time I do this, I get a "user files are open" message,
> even when this is not so.

Users can also reset their own desktop settings back to the defaults.

On the login screen, click on "Sessions", then select "Reset your
desktop", then login. What this will do is delete all of the
configuration files (it won't delete the user's files), copy over the
default configuration files, and then log the user in as normal.

-Eric