[K12OSN] Crashing Firefox on terminal in new un-messed with install

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sun Apr 9 13:41:39 UTC 2006

Specifying vesa seems to work. If I specify s3, it fails to start the
xserver, although it does seem to make a switch to a mode with a smaller
font and a penguin at the top during booting (is this a frame buffer
mode?)  It says to check the log file at /var/log/Xorg.0.0.log, but I
can't find any such file.

Strange results: If I specify savage or s3virge, while it makes the
switch to the mode with the penguin, it dies when trying to mount the
root directory via NFS!  It never even gets to trying to load an
xserver.  No idea why, as I haven't touched NFS.

Is the support for older chipsets in Xorg now considered to be on par
with the old XFree86 3.3.6?  The lts.conf file lists 'XFree 3' drivers;
are these all Xorg?  I ask because I tend to use older hardware.

Petre