[K12OSN] IP based PA system?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Apr 12 14:13:32 UTC 2006

I am forced to do some fairly creative thinking here.  In an effort to save
some money the main school I work for is moving the Jr. high into our Sr. high
campus.  We will now have Jr. high classrooms among Sr. high classrooms.  Now
the fun part.  The sr high runs a 7 period day, the jr high an 8 period day.
And to even get more fun, they both want separate announcements throughout the
day.

So one of my many thoughts here is to build some sort of IP based system for
announcements.  Does anyone know of a way to say take voice from a microphone
hooked to one computer and broadcast it to any computer withing IP range
x.x.x.1-.100?  Or on the other hand broadcast audio events from one central
computer out to a range of others?

Thinking that all classroom machines already have external amplifiers and
speakers hooked up to them, and I already will know the schedule of what
classes will be in each room for the day.  Can I script the IP's of machines
to change to fall into range a or b at certain periods of the day to accept
these broadcast events and play them locally on the speakers.

I know, I am really grasping at straws here :-)  This whole setup is crazy.
But nobody will listen to me when I say dual schedules and mixed rooms is a
nightmare.