[K12OSN] Re: Dell Client boot trouble - NEWBIE - More info

Scott Sherrill scott at remc1.org
Thu Apr 13 15:30:22 UTC 2006

kevin_haugh at redlands.k12.ca.us wrote:
> Thanks for the replies so far.  Here are the details of error I get on
> the client during boot...
>
> Mounting root filestystem: /opt/ltsp/i386 from: 192.168.0.254
> mount: RPC: unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
> mount: nfsmount failed: Bad file descriptor
> NFS: mount program didn't pass remote address!
> mount: Mounting 192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/i386 on /mnt failed: invalid
> argument
>
> ERROR! Faild to mount the root directory via NFS!
> Possible reasons include:
> 1) NFS services may not be running on the server
> 2) Workstation IP does not map to a hostname, either in /etc/hosts, or
> in DNS
> 3) Wrong address for NFS server in DHCP config file
> 4) Wrong pathname for root directory in the DHCP config file
>
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Any ideas?

I am kind of jumping into the middle of the conversation so if someone
already mentioned it I apologize for the redundancy.

On the server after you make changes to /etc/exports you have to run
exportfs -a
for the new changes to be made.  Otherwise it will happily continue
using what you had previously.

Scott