[K12OSN] Dell Client boot trouble - NEWBIE

Graham yorick at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 14 00:52:01 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 11:42, Barry R Cisna wrote:
>

>>I had a very similar problem, trying to boot certain dell's with onboard
>>nics. Even though they are PXE compliant, LTSP server seems to have
>>probs with some of these onboard nics.
>>

>The older Dells generally need a flash BIOS update to work right
>with PXE - but I'm not sure they get far enough to try the
>NFS mount if that is the problem.  Dell is very good about making
>the updates available for old equipment.

I had the exact same problem with some old PII Compaqs with onboard
NICs.  From research the problem is with the old Intel PXE boot agent.
vers 0.99 if memory serves.  A bios update cured the problem.  The only
annoyance is you need a windows box to create the floppy to flash the
bios.. although that was with Compaq, with Dell YMMV.

Cheers
Yo

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Office Technologies)
www.theingots.org

Member: OpenDocument Fellowship
www.opendocumentfellowship.org