[K12OSN] Updates now available for LTSP-4.2

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Apr 19 15:14:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:25:01 -0400 (EDT), Jim McQuillan wrote
> Jim,
>
> in Kubuntu 5.10, kdm is broken. There's a bug filed in the Ubuntu bug
> tracking system:
>
>    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/24271
>
> I've heard that if you upgrade the kde in Kubuntu to 3.5.1, it fixes
> the problem.
>
> I've tried it in Kubuntu-Dapper flight-5, and it's all working.
>
> ltspcfg *should* be modifying your kdmrc file properly, and it
> should be showing up as 'Enabled' in the status screen.  I'm not
> sure why it's not for you, and I don't have access to my Kubuntu
> machine right now, to play with it.  But, even if it did show up as
> Enabled, the bug described above would prevent it from working anyway.
>
> You could install GDM or XDM instead, to get through the Xdmcp issue.
>
> I have no clue what's causing the performance problems you are
> seeing. Kubuntu worked just fine for me as an LTSP server.

I tried the update to 3.5.1 before the updates to ltspcfg and things still
didn't work correctly.  Like I said, I can boot a client, just slow to boot
and slow to run, server is smoking fast.

I gave up for now on this and rsynced my K12 discs to ver5 beta and threw that
on yesterday.  Now FC5 won't recognize my GeForce4 MX440 video card, the FC2
version picked it up just fine.  I put a temporary machine in at home while I
finish pulling out my hair so my wife gets off my back :-)

Thanks for your help.