[K12OSN] Censornet help

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 23:36:28 UTC 2006

> Hi to all.
>
> I was wondering if anyone's using Censornet.  I've
> installed the latest
> version on CentOS 3.6.  No matter what I try, I
> can't get it to work.
>
> Some info.:  I'm using iptables to connect/protect
> my LAN and DMZ.  The
> interfaces are eth0 (public), eth1 (private,
> 192.168.100.1/22), and eth2
> (DMZ, 192.168.1.1/24).  I've given the Censornet box
> the address
> 192.168.100.14/22.  It's in bridged mode.  I believe
> I have everything
> configured correctly.  Censornet finds and
> configures the 3COM nics.  I've
> tried different wiring combinations between the LAN,
> router private
> interface, and the two Censornet interfaces.
> Depending on the wiring, I get
> a) connected to the internet without being
> authenticated or, b) not connected
> or, c) (if I specify a proxy in the Web browser,
> which I'd rather not do)
> prompted repeatedly for uname and pw without ever
> connecting; if I cancel the
> prompt, I'm told I don't have authorization to use
> the Web.  Grrrrrrr!
>
> Is anyone using the current version of Censornet in
> a setting like mine who
> can show me the error of my IT ways?  The help
> would, as always, be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

Along with checking the Censornet forums, have you
also tried their FAQ? (http://www.censornet.com/faq/)

Have you tried to access the Internet directly from
the Censornet box itself, to make sure it can access
the Internet okay?

We're not yet using the latest version of Censornet,
but at least with ours, you DO have to set the proxy
address and port information in web browsers.  (Though
with K12LTSP, I can just set that once in all.js
rather than every individual PC.)

By default, Censornet expects web browsers to connect
to it on port 8080 (in your case,
192.168.100.14:8080).  When the browser first
connects, you'll be prompted for a username &
password.  Here you enter a username & password
created through Censornet web-based admin interface.
If you just press cancel instead (your option (c) I
think), then it will deny web access to that computer.
 That's the way Censornet is designed to work... it's
an authenticating proxy with filtering.  Much of its
web-access restrictions and reporting are based on
usernames.

Brian mentioned the Censornet forums.  I believe that
in the past, setting up transparent proxy-based
filtering has been often discussed on their forums.
In short, Censornet isn't designed to do that, though
it can be "hacked" to make it work that way.

I hope this helps!

David Whitmer
Media and Technology Director
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)