[K12OSN] LCD 17 vs. 15?

Darryl Palmer dpalmerjr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 01:33:40 UTC 2006

On 4/26/06, Burke Almquist <balmquist at mindfirestudios.com> wrote:

> Yes, generally the network traffic and the client VRAM requirements
> are based on the number of pixels times the color depth. 1600x1200 is
> four times more pixels than 800x600, and going from 16 to 32 bits of
> color would also probably have the same impact. Since X is fairly low
> level (IIRC), increases in either pixels or color depth will have a
> relatively proportional impact on the LAN traffic.  Feel free to
> correct me if I have anything wrong here.

This is not exactly correct.  Most of the X telegrams are not "pixel"
based.  The pixmap messages are for transferring icons and for graphical
applications.  So if your students are using image intensive or graphical
applications, like tuxtype or tuxmath, it will have to transfer lots of
pixel based telegrams to the clients.

Darryl Palmer