[K12OSN] CEU's offered at NELS...and more information!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Apr 27 17:39:24 UTC 2006

Good Morning!

Hope you all had a wonderful and restful April vacation.  For the first
time in years I actually got a ton of yard work done and I got all the
wood in for next winter!  Now that vacation has come and gone and summer
is looming in the not too distant future...it's time for me to turn more
of my attention to the upcoming Northeast Linux Symposium aka. NELS.  This
year Matt and I really have been on the ball and have gotten things going
a lot earlier than before.  The session presenters are all lined up...the
schedule is pretty well finalized and registrations opened almost a month
earlier than years past.  Phew!  Last year it was suggested by some of the
attendees through personal conversations and the evaluation forms that we
consider adding a “track” for classroom teachers to learn more about
integrating open source software in their own classrooms.  We listened!
This year we are offering a “track” of sessions just for that purpose!
I'm quite excited about it and due to the fact that I too, am a classroom
teacher, I will be involved in presenting and making sure that it's a
complete success!  We have lined up some great presenters for all of our
sessions...some new and some repeats...in all it's really looking like the
best year ever to be learning about Linux and open source!

I am pleased to say that we have several folks already registered, but we
certainly hope more of you will join us!  Several of you have spoken with
me about your intent to attend, but have not registered....please register
as soon as possible (even if you don't have the PO secured just yet).
We're hoping that “teams” of educators and tech folks can attend and spend
time learning and planning together.  Three days of hands-on
learning....laid-back atmosphere....hanging out with colleagues...and
fantastic food!

CEU's will be offered!

Looking for recertification credit?  Need contact hours?  No problem!
We'll be offering college endorsed CEU's again this year...thanks to Jerry
Holt!  So if you need some credits....this is a great way to get a whole
bunch of 'em!

(for Maine folks)  ACTEM professional development funds

Just a reminder that ACTEM members (only costs $10....so join today!) can
request up to $400 per year for professional development (conferences,
classes, etc).  Several folks have used this resource in the past to
offset the costs for attending NELS.  Visit the ACTEM website ([
http://www.actem.org/ ]www.actem.org) and click “Professional Development”
along the top for more information.

Visit the NELS website (http://www.nelinux.net) for more information on
both the Gould Academy and UNH conferences.  Download the flyer....check
out the sessions...etc.  And most of all.....register to join us at NELS!
Please register soon so Matt and I can get to work on the nuts and bolts
like food....housing...and the like.  Hope to see you in June!  Enjoy the
warmer weather!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School