[K12OSN] Finding MAC address for NIC

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 18:50:45 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Doug Simpson <simpsond at leopards.k12.ar.us> wrote:

> > Are you sure the other NIC is working?  It sounds more and more like
> > none of the system tools are able to access it....
> >
> > What does::
> >   # ifconfig eth1 up

I am coming very late into the conversation, but I hope this is helpful.

What does  " /sbin/ifconfig -a | grep '^[[:alnum:]]'" show:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00

Next what does /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf show

grep eth /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3

if there is know entry for eth1 then we may have to add it before you
can see it in ifconfig. I find that with lspci for modern eqt:

 /sbin/lspci | grep Ethernet
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

>  ifconfig eth1 up
> eth1: unknown interface: No such device
>

> >   # ifconfig eth1
> > do for you?
> > Can you use the GUI tool after that?
> > (Did you check inside /etc/sysconfig/hwconf?)
> >
> There is nothing anywhere in /etc/sysconfig/ for eth1.
>
> I may just have to shut this thing down and pull that card and restart
> without it and let kuzdu do it's thing and then re-installt and let kudzu
> do it's thing again and re-detect it.
>
> That is an evening thing, though. . . can't go there during school. . .
>
> Thanks for the help!

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator